×

Victory Grounds Ventures withdraws Kingston stadium proposal

Victory Grounds Ventures withdraws Kingston stadium proposal
Courtesy: Victory Grounds Ventures

Victory Grounds Ventures has withdrawn its proposal for a stadium at the Memorial Centre in Kingston, Ontario, the group announced in a statement this Saturday.

"As many of you are aware, VGV has decided to withdraw our existing proposal for the Memorial Centre site. During our due diligence process, we identified potential legal challenges that ultimately impacted the project's feasibility." said the group.

VGV's plans took a step forward on January 14, as the Kingston City Council approved a motion (9-3) allowing city staff to formally enter negotiations with the group.

The final vote, originally scheduled for March 18, has now been cancelled.

"We want to extend our sincere gratitude to the dedicated city staff who have worked tirelessly over the past two months, as well as to the community members who have shown incredible support throughout this process. While this particular proposal will not move forward, we remain excited about the future- for both VGV and the Memorial Centre." said the group.

Photo credit: Thiago Szwarc / TrueNorthFoot

What's next for Canadian Premier League expansion?

It’s been more than three years since the last official expansion announcement in the league.

Commissioner Mark Noonan has reiterated the goal of adding two new teams by 2026, though a similar target for 2025 was never met.

Earlier this year, Josh Healey of Wanderers Notebook reported that the next two CPL expansion teams are set to be in Ontario and British Columbia for 2026.

While the exact cities haven’t been confirmed, Kelowna and Windsor appear to be the frontrunners.

Kelowna hosted a CPL “On Tour!” match in 2024 as a market test, while Windsor was granted exclusive expansion rights when former commissioner David Clanachan stepped down in 2022.